Freezing temperatures cause school closures and give students, teachers a break from testing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alex Slataper

Louisiana has experienced some peculiar weather in the past couple of months. Reaching below freezing temperatures in the low 20s and 30s, Baton Rouge has undergone several freezes. On December 7, snow fell heavily in Baton Rouge for the first time since December of 2009.
The cold weather didn’t stop there. From January 16 to January 18, Baton Rouge experienced a harsh freeze, closing down the roads, schools, and most establishments as well. While some schools used student laptops to conduct virtual classrooms, public schools such as BRHS were unable to continue school until the 19th. BRHS teachers did not provide assignments for students to complete during this missed time, setting back lesson plans.
The freezing temperatures caused many problems around Baton Rouge. Many cars had snow piled on top of them, and iced over windshields. Because Baton Rouge does not often experience this cold of weather, many people were unaware that pouring hot water on a windshield that has frozen over, the glass beneath the ice will shatter, so there were a few occurances of broken glass on frozen cars.
As people in Baton Rouge are unacustomed to freezes, most drivers had no experience driving on roads with ice. Ice on the roads caused many car accidents during these freezes.
BRHS senior Olivia Hawthorne says, “My boyfriend was driving on one of the snow days and his car slid on the ice and hit another car. He had just gotten his car back after months without it and now the car is totaled.”
A big issue during this cold weather has been pipes. Despite attempts to keep pipes from freezing, many people around Baton Rouge had their pipes freeze and even break, flooding yards and parts of roads.
Baton Rouge resident Robert Calander says, “Our pipes froze and broke, flooding our yard, some of our neighbors’ yards, and even the street. The flooded water froze and our house was surrounded by ice.”
The people of Baton Rouge were informed to stay off the roads, leaving people to stay in their homes. Eventually cabin fever set in, leading many to explore in the snow.
BRHS senior Kaitlyn McCaskill says, “Darla came to my house, despite the news announcements to stay off of the roads. We went to this one part of my neighborhood and it felt like we were driving through a Hallmark movie.”