Chamber and symphony orchestras perform in first concert of school year

Alexa Bates, Campus Currents

The first BRHS orchestra concert of the school year included a wide variety of selections played by the Chamber Orchestra, the Symphony Orchestra, and soloists. Nearly 100 students in grades nine through 12 made up the orchestra that played in the October 10 concert.

The Chamber Orchestra played songs they have been practicing for weeks and others that they had only a week to practice.

Of Glorious Plumage, by Richard Meyer, was written in a French Impressionistic style and paints a musical scene of birds taking flight. The piece started out with a violin soloist that was gradually joined by the rest of the orchestra.

The orchestra also performed Sonatina by Antonin Dvorak. The piece was originally written as a violin sonata with contemporary jazz themes.

Freshman harpist Margaret Campbell played a solo, Spinning Well by Alphonse Hasselmans.

Senior violinist Erina Buchholz played Presto Movement, G minor Sonata No. 1 and Sicilienne and Rigaudon alongside a pianist. Buchholz also played a solo, Zigeunerweisen by Pablo de Sarasate.

The Symphony Orchestra was featured in Russian Sailor’s Dance by Reinhold Gliere. The piece is one of Gliere’s best known and is the most known dance in The Red Poppy Ballet, the first Soviet ballet with a modern revolutionary theme.
The Symphony Orchestra also played Duel of the Fate, by John Williams. The piece is from Star Wars and is featured in all three of the prequels.

The Symphony Orchestra played Gymnopedie No. I and II. The piece was originally written for piano by Claude Debussy, but was played by Campbell and freshman oboist Jhansi Yadlapati.

“I am very thankful to be in the position to be able to work with such talented, hard-working, and dedicated students,” said Orchestra teacher C. Frazier.

“It was a very nice performance. There’s always room for improvement. They are wonderful children with very nice faces and attittudes. I’m looking forward to future endeavors,” Frazier said