BRHS crowns most AP scholars in Louisiana

Darla Shaler, Campus Currents

Baton Rouge Magnet High School is one of the highest ranked high schools in the state of Louisiana, and the 218 BRHS AP Scholars are a testament to the school’s high standing.

For the 2017 school year, these AP Scholars were recognized for receiving a score of three or higher on three or more AP exams.

“We have the most AP Scholars in the state,” said Assistant Principal Shaun Feinberg. The number of Scholars at BRHS grew by 60 students from the previous year.

“That kind of growth shows that more students are making good scores on AP exams. It shows that we’ve got a large percentage of kids that are not only taking AP classes but passing,” Feinberg said.

All the scholars have earned at least nine hours of college credit for colleges that grant credit.

Out of the 218 AP scholars, some were recognized with a higher honor for taking more than three AP exams and performing higher than a three average on the exams taken.

Two alumni, Chi Cao and Jaime Pellicero-Calvo, were recognized with a higher honor as State AP Scholars and National Advanced Placement Scholars. Senior Erina Buchholz received an International Diploma award as well as being a National Advanced Placement Scholar.

15 students were National AP Scholars as well as AP Scholars with Distinction, 56 students earned the AP Scholars with Distinction Award, 32 received AP Scholars with Honors Award, and 112 were AP Scholars.

Advanced Placement Scholar with Distinction and recipient of the National Advanced Placement Scholar Award senior Dara Khosravi has currently taken 10 AP exams.

“My family has been at BRHS for the last 13 years so I have to finish the legacy left behind by my siblings,” Khosravi said.

BRHS offers a college readiness environment and its 31 Advanced Placement courses, 17 Honors courses, and one Dual Enrollment class help turn more students into AP Scholars every year.