Hazing has negative impact on college campuses and high school seniors

Traeniesha Harry, Campus Currents

Hazing in colleges and universities has been a big issue for many years. It involves humiliating and sometimes dangerous initiation rites, especially as imposed on college students seeking membership into a fraternity or sorority. At least 38 states have outlawed hazing and assure worried parents that their campuses are free of hazing, but behind vows of secrecy within fraternities and sororities, hazing still goes on.

Some ways fraternities haze pledges are making pledges drink a nasty concoction, getting them extremely drunk, performing dangerous dares, and letting members beat them up.

Senior Malik Jones says that he plans on joining a fraternity when he goes to college. He said that hazing does make him rethink about joining a fraternity. “Sometimes it depends on the hazing activity, like if I had to be branded then no,” he said.

If hazing was illegal on the college campus Jones said that he would not tell an administrator. He said that if he became a member of a fraternity and had to haze pledges he’d do something minor like make them swim across a lake.
Hazing can be any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off campus, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule and can also lead to death.

More recent hazing event that led to death happened on September 13 on the LSU campus. Fraternity pledge Maxwell Gruver was a freshman from Roswell, Georgia. He was instructed by 10 members of LSU’s Phi Delta Theta to repeatedly chug 190-proof Diesel liquor during a ritual called Bible Study, during which pledges are quizzed on fraternity facts. This incident caused Gruver to inhale his own vomit and other fluids into his lungs. Gruver’s blood-alcohol level was .496 when he died on September 14. The 10 men arrested range from 18 to 21 and all face misdemeanor hazing charges. Another man, 19-year-old Matthew Alexander Naquin, faces an additional felony charge of negligent homicide.

Educators have had to confront the physical abuse, practical jokes, excessive alcohol consumption, and other humiliating and dangerous events that have found their way into being the rites of passage for countless young adults. Hazing still presents difficulties to college administrators, staff and students since more deaths have occurred on college and university campuses as a result of hazing, pledging and initiation accidents.

Other fraternities and sororities have been suspended over the years as a result of high-profile hazing cases. The most notable was that of 19-year-old Timothy Piazza, who died in February after an alcohol-related hazing incident at Pennsylvania State University’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity. Piazza fell down the stairs multiple times, eventually dying of a fractured skull and a ruptured spleen, according to The Washington Post.

Hazing can misguide college students into the wrong direction and can affect their future in a negative way.