Senior Erina Buchholz picked as Student of the Year

Kyrin Lewis, Campus Currents

Senior Erina Buchholz is the BRHS Student of the Year. Among the five students who were teacher-nominated, she was chosen.

Each student was asked various questions spanning from who their role models were to what their plans would be if they were given 1,000,000 dollars. Violin is her main focus. Her role model is her violin teacher, Dr. Borislava Iltcheva. Her main goal is to “get people outside of Baton Rouge High to understand that it’s not just an academic school.” Buchholz added, “We really do have strong arts programs.”

Upon being told that she was Student of the Year, Buchholz was in awe. “I honestly didn’t expect to get it considering the people they chose for the interviews,” she said. “They are all the type of people who have a very clear passion for something, and we’re all just so different that I thought it was difficult to choose between us because all of us have a passion, just for completely different things.”

Her next step is to contend with other students in the parish for EBR Student of the Year. “There’s really nothing I can do besides being myself,” she said.

Buchholz describes herself as “academically focused” and strives to make the best of her classes. She is president of the National Honor Society, a member of Mu Alpha Theta, Spanish Club, and STEM. She is a National Merit Semifinalist, National AP Scholar, and an AP International Diploma Recipient. “There’s definitely something about playing the violin that makes me a real person with a real passion that I really enjoy doing,” Buchholz added in regards to her passion for violin. The four other students she competed with at school were Madeline Anderson, Calvin Morris, Ziying He, and Dara Khosravi.