Six seniors to join the military after high school

Arely Infante, Lifestyle Editor

Graduating high school is a great accomplishment for many students. After high school, students have the freedom to choose where they want to continue their education. Some students though, decide to join the military instead. Joining the military comes with many benefits including, scholarships, other forms of financial aid and educational advantages that others might not receive.

Diamond Bell, Ashlyn Cleveland, Roy James Jr, Julian Johnson, Derika Knox and Nina Williams have made the decision to join the military. All six students are currently enrolled in ROTC which has prepared them for leadership roles and ways to instill citizenship.

All six students are enlisted in the Army National Guard, and the main reason they enlisted is the benefit of having their college paid for. Cleveland hopes being in the army will pay for her to get a medical certification. Cleveland, Williams, James, and Bell hope to attend LSU while Johnson is considering Southern. Military background has also played a role in influencing the students to take advantage of scholarship opportunities. Bell has no immediate relative in the army, Johnson’s grandparents, William’s grandmother, James Jr father are in the military. Cleveland’s older cousin enlisted two years ago.

Bell has always liked the military and plans to get her physical activity through that. Williams hopes the National Guard will prepare her mentally for any obstacles that may occur in the future. James plans to be a linguist and wants to learn Spanish and Johnson will learn Russian something that he could never do by himself. All students said they believe they are right for the branch they chose and hope that the opportunities will allow them to become better people. “I think I’ve always wanted to serve, it’s something that I like and I know I will enjoy,” said Cleveland.

Being in the army will not only help build these students into strong characters, but also allow them to experience new things in a challenging new way.

“This will be very interesting and new for me, but I think it will be a great experience,” said Johnson.